Friday, January 22, 2010

Riding the wave, but watching the horizon. Pictures by Scott Saulsbury

Ever since  watching surfers chase and ride waves at Seaside Cove a  couple of  weeks ago,  I've been playing around with the idea that surfing paralles life in terms of what level of perserverence you need to ultimately be succesful and really enjoy it.  Just as surfers need to set their sights on that best location and head boldly into the crashing waves in order to catch those good waves, we need sometimes in life, to dive in with gusto, tackling each of our challenges with fresh vigor, and renewed zeal, in order have those good moments in life that keep us moving forward, and ultimately feeling contented in the long run.

The surfers are amazing to watch.  I admire their heartiness and their zest for adventure.  That water is cold, and it looks like quite an effort to get out and make it to just the right wave. Heck, for me it would be an effort just to get the wet suit on!  And it's so exciting when someone catches a good one and then rides it for awhile,  some of them kicked back on their long board like Mr. Aloha, the "Keep on Truckin" guy, riding in on the energy of the swell.  It has to be a great feeling, well worth the effort spent, even if the ride is short.   That good feeling keeps 'em going back for more.

Life is so very like that.  I feel like I'm riding a sweet wave right now, and I had to push through some rough patches and some challenges in 2009.  But now, for the moment, things are really clicking along and I feel great.  Work is as busy as ever, but I'm energetic and focused and ready for challenges as they come up.  Everything just seems easier, for some reason.  Things are going well personally, too.  I'm  catching up financially and making myself more secure in the future.  Also, I'm back in a relationship with someone I trust and really fit with.  This relationship works well for both of us and we're happy, even if it might seem a little odd to others and even us at times.   I wished for a new camera while I was out there watching surfers. I wanted to be able to capture some fun shots along with my sweetheart.  Well, I have that camera now, and it's a joy to play with.  And of course my family is thriving.  My kids are growing, and and we're finding new ways to work together and grow as a family.  The challenges are still there, but we're working through them and making it work.

I'm already setting new goals and preparing for new challenges in the coming months, because this, like every other wave, is going to dissipate.  I'll need to keep striving to catch the next one, then the next one and the next.  I want to keep on enjoying this journey called life.



No comments:

Post a Comment