Wednesday, January 6, 2010

I like today.

Good things happened today.  I am too excited to put a lot of thought into how I express what was good, so I will just blurt it all out as it comes.

I've been frustrated about the disingenous way the principal of a firm I've been working with has been communicating and dealing with me in terms of the actions he has taken to stall out our "deal.".  I've been approaching the sales process with him with a very "win/win" attitude, like I typically do, and have been thwarted by his unmet promises and "win/lose" tactics.  It's been very frustrating.  It bothers me to take someone at their word and move forward with what I believe is their best interest and our own at heart, only to find they have been holding out on me and manipulating the situation.  He has cost me a significant amount of money by stalling this deal past the end of year deadline we agreed upon,  and almost more importantly to me,  he cost me a slight loss of face with people whose opinions matter to me, when he didn't do what he said he would.  Based on his answers to my questions about whether I had met their needs and they were ready to move forward, I led my boss and the owner of my company to believe we had a deal they could count on.  Luckily the people I work with understand my integrity and follow through, and they trust that I met my end of the bargain and asked all the right questions.  Still, it bothers me to be so disrespected in a business transaction when I've shown such good faith and gone beyond the normal effort to get them what they need to feel comfortable moving forward with us.

So what is so good about all of this?!  Well, I had the opportunity today to say "NO".  "NO" we do not feel comfortable moving forward with a firm whose leadership does not trust us.  "No" I do not want to compromise our integrity by giving into unfair demands that we change our license agreement to meet their lack of faith in us.  "NO." 

But I softened it by saying also that I'm sorry I've let them down.  Surely I wasn't doing my job if they feel they can't move forward in a deal because they don't trust us.  I've dropped the ball somehow if they don't have a much confidence as I do that we can meet their needs and will treat them fairly.  I wish I could have better earned their confidence, I told him. 

Well, I tried to tell him anyway.  He stopped me in mid apology to say, (and I parphrase) "No, no - please don't take this personally - I don't doubt your integrity, or the good faith your CEO has shown.  We simply have had too many bad experiences with businesses who don't do business this way, and have adopted overzealous practices in analyzing deals.  I would like to take time with my staff to see if we can move forward with what you offer and will call you tomorrow.  Please don't take our methods personally.  You have shown good faith.

I expect to have this deal tomorrow, but even if I don't, I feel we have won. 

It was indeed a good day.

10 comments:

NWWanderer said...

I hope the deal comes in today!

I have to admit that I've never, ever understood "win/lose" mindsets in business. Anyone that I've ever dealt with over the years who has seen every transaction as combat, fodder for his/her own private box-score has been, quite frankly, a loser at the core.

Still, I know they're out there in huge numbers and they have to be dealt with. I'm glad this one finally started behaving more rationally, even if it was a week after he blew off his first promise of closure.

Seraffyn said...

Thank you for the show of support. Win/Lose is unfortunate, but you're right, the types who feel they have to approach business dealings - and other parts of life - this way are definitely out there, so I will need to learn to be more effective in my negotiations with the.

Deal is still not in, but I'm not fretting yet! He did say he may not get back till later in the day or Friday. *crossing my fingers!*

Seraffyn said...

Got it! Saying "no" did the trick! They are very happy to be moving forward, too!

Arnfinn said...

Hi. It is nice to see someone from Portland here as i have a lot of family there. It is a long way from Norway :)

Seraffyn said...

Arnfinn, hello! Thanks for not only stopping by, but leaving a comment. How did you find your way here? I'm assuming you are a photographer, since I have been looking at a lot of photo blogs posted by photographers from Norway. It was a lucky happenstance that led me to them, too! Well-made and inspiring photos taken in a strikingly beautiful place. How did your family come to be in Portland?

Seraffyn said...

Well, Arnfinn, I just followed my way back to your blog, and see now that I have indeed been there before. Kjartan recommended it and I went to see. Very nice pictures!

Mats Andersson said...

Thanks for your comment. Good luck with the new camera!!!

/Mats

Seraffyn said...

Mats - Thank you! I'm looking forward to it, since I've been researching and planning for a while, and can finally reward myself! I thought it was funny that you commented here about that, since I've not blogged about it yet. I was scratching my head till I remembered my comment on your blog! Thank you for stopping by here.

Arnfinn said...

Hi. It was some from my family moving over in the early 30's and have lived there since. They are no a big family over there and wee visiting both way's. I have never been ther but maybe some time i hope. I see your comment in other Norwegian blogs and click into yours here. Curious is what i was and like your blog.

Seraffyn said...

Well, I'm glad you like it! It's really what I would call a "hodge podge" of stuff with no rhyme or reason. I figure it would bore most people - unless I start managing to take some interesting pictures or actually write something more compelling than my random thoughts. We'll see. I'll keep at it anyway, because I like having a place to jot down ideas, and perhaps engage someone along they way.

Now - I'm off to see if you have more photos up, Arnfinn!

Post a Comment