Sunday, January 17, 2010

Serendipity

Yesterday, I rewarded myself for hitting my sales goals last year by purchasing my first DSLR camera. It was so exciting to go into Pro Photo Supply and talk to the knowledgeable folks behind the counter about my two researched choices - and really good to get the cameras in my hands. I settled on the Canon 50D over the Canon Rebel T1i. I won't bore you all with the reasons why. The main thing is I have a camera that will allow me to take the pictures I want to take and I also have a lot to learn about that!

The learning started last night in the most surprising way! Scott was in town from Astoria to see Stella's game yesterday, and was about to head home, when my daycare provider offered to watch my kids for us to go out and have and have some time together. We headed out to O'Connor's right here in my Multnomah Village neighborhood and I brought my camera in and took no-flash pictures, trying to see what would happen in such low light. There were some surprisingly good results, but the real excitement started when a wedding party came in and activity swirled around us. This was a unique wedding party, as the bride was from Japan, and married a American of clearly Western descent. Scott and I were lucky enough to see and photograph some Japanese wedding traditions, which were quite a visual treat.

The bride, whose name was Chika, wore three different kimonos, all symbolizing different things, apparently. I didn't hear the whole story, but she did share a few pieces of the tradition with us. She was charming and warm, and I still can't believe our luck to get to see this on a night we figured we'd just have a drink, visit a little and go each to our own homes.

We also heard a wonderful band I've not heard in many years, Gypsy Jazz. They play standards in the style of Jango Reinhardt. I love this music! And to add a cherry to the top of all this, there was a couple dancing in a 40's style - and they were wonderful.

I have a few shots to share, which I was able to get before my camera battery died.

Lessons learned: Always bring your camera along. You never know what will happen. OH, and take a fully charged battery, and a spare along wherever you go, too!




No Flash, 3200 ISO, wide-open aperture


My Sweetheart!
No Flash, 3200 ISO, wide-open aperture



No flash, 3200 ISO, wide-open aperture


No flash, 3200 ISO, wide-open aperture


No flash, 3200 ISO, wide-open aperture



No flash, 3200 ISO, wide-open aperture


Auto (with flash)


zoomed in, no flash, 3200 ISO, wide-open aperture, fill light added




Night Portrait setting with some adjustments (Scott helped me.)

6 comments:

NWWanderer said...

These are interesting to see outside the camera's LCD! Yes, there's still noise in the high-ISO stuff, but it's nothing like you would have had even a couple of years ago, and for the most part it's pretty even and smooth. Not the big dirt-clods I get.

By "fill light added", do you mean you used the slider in Picasa? If so, it probably accentuated the noise, but not permanently.

Seraffyn said...

Yes, I used the Picasa slider. I don't have Photoshop Elements installed on my computer yet.

Oliver Koerner said...

Thanks for that interesting article wich makes me smile :-) with the kimonos of the wedding... and your camera tipps. I have since a few days a Canon EOS 500 D and it is a new world to see.
Your photos are great... it is obviously that you have experience with photos.
I am courious for all the next wich you will make.

NWWanderer said...

I hope you've been able to dodge enough raindrops today to try to get some shots outside with more normal ISOs!

Seraffyn said...

I'm glad you enjoyed the post, Oliver. Interesting you have a 500D. That is the camera I considered along with this 50D that I have chosen. They are very similar and both make fantastic images. I came very close to going with the 500D, because it is so lightweight, and I could easily take it hiking and backpacking. For other reasons, though, I went with the 50D. I posted some of those reasons on a later post, which you can find here:
http://windyripples.blogspot.com/2010/01/my-new-camera.html

Thank you for your comment!

Seraffyn said...

Scott, unfortunately, I did not get out and shoot - which I think I told you already. BUT, I have been going through my manual, and I have discovered how to set the exposure compensation. Not as easy as on your Sony, but better than what we were fearing. I'll tell you later.

Post a Comment