Thursday, January 14, 2010

Perspective

The earthquake in poverty-stricken Haiti is overwhelmingly horrible to contemplate.  It's a tragedy of gigantic proportions, and it boggles my mind and shakes my spirit to think of the loss and pain these people are experiencing en masse.  It hurts. 

I'm pleased that our State Department has made it so easy to make a contribution while we are feeling most compassionate about the plight of the people of Haiti.  I'm deeply impressed, and I hope that we do indeed make a difference - and soon!  Still, I am struck by the perspective this has given me.  Once again, when something like this happens, it forces me, like a smack in the head, to pause and be grateful for my life and the goodness in it. 

This quote resonates with me today:

"All the gold in the world cannot buy a dying man one more breath---so what does that make today worth?"
~Og Mandino

I think the first official goal I have for myself this new year, though it is late in coming, is to avoid complaining about petty problems or pains.   There is just too much happening to people all over the world, every single day, that I've never even had to think about.  My problems are not problems when I think about that. 

Nothing like a little perspective.

1 comment:

gailmarie said...

You are so right, Andrea. It is nearly beyond comprehension to imagine what they are going through in Haiti. I makes me want to do something, but what? I can pray though and that I am doing. I cringe to think about the earthquake that hit northern California just about a week before than the one in Haiti and it was nearly as large too, approximately a 6 or so. The buildings in those countries are just not strong enough to get through such a strong earthquake. We are blessed beyond measure to not have to live in areas like that and deal with what they deal with everyday of their lives and then to have to deal with this devastation.

Post a Comment