Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Mid-Week Stream of Consciousness

I've not been one to use the term "hump day."  There's nothing wrong with it, really, and I certainly understand the little lift you get at the end of the day on Wednesday when you realize that you're on the downhill slope of your work week.  It's just that it's not a particularly elegant phrase, and it suggests, ever so subtley you are unhappy being at work.  I'll never claim to prefer work to play, but I actually do like my job.  Some days are hard, like today when nearly every call I make, I hear "no" or "we've decided that we need to wait till mid 2010."  It's starts to feel like I'm swimming in mud.  But then, all it takes is just one little opening to have an exchange of information, and I feel so much better.  I had a great call today with someone I've not been able to get traction with in the past.  Turns out he's been extremely busy because his business partner was out with a back surgery.  He didn't even have time to talk with me until today!  But when we did talk, it was a comfortable, valuable conversation, which helped me understand his business, the culture there, and his personal goals.  Made my whole day!

I like connecting with people, and getting to understand what makes them tick and what will make them more successful and content in their jobs.  It's truly fun.  And people like talking to me.  That makes me feel good.  I believe I put them at ease, and they trust me to have their best interests at heart - and I do.  Problem is sometimes they like me so much that they disappear on me!  I say that because sometimes a client, to avoid having to tell me "no" when something changes in their circumstances and their company can't move forward with a software purchase, they just drop out of the picture.  We could have been smack in the middle of the software evaluation with me facilitating all sorts of demos and getting their questions answered, and then, BOOM, I can't get them on the phone for weeks and they don't reply to my emails.  I'd really rather they just directly tell me what's going on.  I can take it if they have to say no.  It won't hurt my feelings.  What it will do is tell me what their concerns are, and will help me know what I need to be doing for them, even if that means folllowing up with them in a few months.

Come to think of it, I like direct communication in all aspects of my life.  I've never been comfortable simply hinting at something.   If I have a question, I ask.  And I ask directly.  I don't beat around the bush or drop hints, or any other passive type nonsense.  Please. I like it when people are direct with me, too.  And if something seems to be bothering someone, I don't try to guess what it might be, and assume I've done something or just avoid them.  I ask them to talk to me - to tell me what's on their mind.  I can't guarantee we can immediately or ever solve the problem, but I can be pretty certain that it won't solve itself.  When I was a younger, less confident, less experienced woman, I approached certain problems with certain types of people in an indirect way, either trying to be "nice" or because I was afraid of conflict with someone, but no more.  I've grown quite comfortable with expressing myself, and asking what's going on with the people I care about.  No...life's to short to take action or remain inactive because of assumptions.  Problems can't be solved or even simply considered if they are avoided.  I've been too blunt a few times, and I'm often clumsy, but my intent is good and people who know me usually know my heart, since I'm so open with it.  They know I mean well, and if they don't, they're being held up by their own fears. 

I process my own problems by talking about them.  Sometimes too much.  It's one of the reasons I'm blogging now.  I need to process externally, but I've learned that not everything needs to be talked to death, especially if I really already know the answer and just need to reaffirm.  So I'm writing to get it out of my head.  Hopefully that process will help me develop my writing voice as a byproduct!

But anyway, it is that day...that mid-week wonder, which signals the approach of the weekend.  And I'm going to have a very nice weekend, indeed.  I'm getting out of Portland for a change of scene!  Friday here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment