Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Play ball!

I would never have guessed how much I would enjoy playing softball on Axium's first year, co-ed, C league team.  I initially struggled with making the commitment to play.  "Do I really want one more thing I have to do?"  I kept asking myself.  Thankfully, the commitment was a small one.  How could I say no to one night a week, likely no practices, and no weekend games or tournaments?   I couldn't.  I figured I could do that, and signed up to play.  Now I play every Tuesday.  And I'm loving it!

At first the Axium Scope Creeps struggled to get enough players, especially women, so I felt pressure to be there.  But each and every time I showed up, I was glad I did.  It was several games before we actually had a win, but we have so much fun, it doesn't matter much!

It's actually pretty entertaining having players on our team who never even saw a baseball or softball game before, much less played one!  It makes for some good laughs.  Wale and George are both from Nigeria and then England.  They have lots of moxie and athleticism - hell, George was an Olympic Long Jumper in his day - but neither know the rules of the game.  So, there's all this power and grace, but no logic or plan behind it. It's frustrating, but also hysterical to see Wale stand at home plate seemingly enjoying being a spectator as the opposing team makes plays on his hits.  Sometimes he has to be reminded to run.  And, then there's George, who can run like noone else, but CAN'T STOP!  He plows through second base nearly every time!  Scares the bejeesus out of whoever is playing second, to see this very tall, athletic, powerful looking and FAST man tearing down the line toward them, with no hint of slowing down.  If they don't yet have the ball, then find that he's off he base once they do have it, and then things get very funny as George dances around trying not to be tagged.  We can't help but laugh, and then sheepishly make references to how far away Nigeria is to explain things to the opposing team.  But we love that they're out there playing and we have all enjoyed the comraderie, especially as the season goes on.  More and more people reliably show up, and the crew at McGuffy's Pub after the game has doubled since that first night a handful of us showed up there to enjoy beer and tell stories about good plays and funny errors.

For me, this softball team has given me a physical outlet for my competitive nature.  I enjoy sports, and sometimes forget how much fun it is to actually play the game and not just cheer someone else on.  And oh, how I love playing first base.  It's not too hard on my knees (except when I use them, instead of my glove to stop a line drive), and I don't have to run a lot, but I see lots of action and get to look cool under pressure sometimes.  If you aren't scared to catch balls thrown in a huge variety of ways, it's not a hard position at all. 

Batting is fun, too, if you let it be.  Gotta shake off any pressure, and just swing the bat like it's practice.  I try to remember the feel of the bat connecting well with the bat and visualize it leaping off the bat past the infielders before I hit.  Such a sweet sensation when that happens!  Tonight I especially liked the hard drive I hit between the first and second basemen to advance the runner and get on first.  I wanted the RBI, and I got it.  Plus, the hit felt great.  Solid.  Nice to have one like that in a game.  Feels SO good.

It's also really fun to watch your friends show off their skills.  We've got some athletic people on the team, and win or lose, there's always some great play to story-tell about after the game. 

In the end, though, what I like the very best is being outside on a warm Summer evening, with people I genuinely like, playing a fun game.   We're out there running, hitting, throwing, catching, talking smack -  and best of all smiling and laughing and living in the moment.   It's nice to be a part of something shared like this.  It's nice to play, even if just for a couple of hours once a week.  It makes me feel like I'm a kid again, playing baseball in the field on my uncle's property with my cousins and all the neighborhood kids.   Nothing else mattered during those games.  We were caught up in the game,  and played hard with contented hearts focused solely on what was at hand.  There's nothing else quite like it - this little piece of American Summer sweetness.  I'm savoring this chance to do it it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment