Thursday, August 19, 2010

Bike Commuting - The Good

  • The strength I'm developing in my legs makes me feel powerful.
  • I haven't filled my car tank in well over a week, and there is still a quarter tank of gas in there, despite making a trip to Mt. Hood to go hiking on Sunday.
  • I have "that glow" when I get to work.
  • My lungs feel good and oxygenated every day, twice a day.
  • I have lots of very focused energy when I get to work, and I'm more productive.
  • I feel very self-sufficient
  •  I'm reducing my carbon footprint.
  • I'm inspiring others at work to do the same, because, hey - if I can do it, most of them can most certainly do it, too.
  • I'm meeting nice people in my neighborhood, who talk to me because they've seen me riding.
  • I'm becoming more fit, and other activities, like hiking, are getting easier.
  • I'm certain I'm extending my functional life.  I plan to be biking and hiking well into my 70's.
  • Next time someone invites me on a ride, I won't be as afraid that I can't keep up.
  • I'm more upbeat.
  • The ride from work back home is a fantastic transition, which gives me time to be alone with my thoughts for a little while
  • I'm gaining confidence in my body!

2 comments:

NWWanderer said...

I agree with all of those points, but for some reason, extending your active, functional life rings especially true for me.

What's the point of living long if you can't do anything with the time?

Seraffyn said...

Exactly! We "have to use it or lose it" if we want to be able to enjoy our free time when we are older. I don't want to be sitting around in front of the boob tube, or playing bridge when I retire. heh!

Post a Comment