Tuesday, August 24, 2010

A Late Summer Snapshot

7:50 and the sky glowed dusky pink and purple as Stella and I reached the field just in time for the game.  Warm welcomes, giddy with relief, greeted us as we jogged up, and I ran out onto the already brightly lit field without a warm up. It would be alright.  There would be no forfeiture this fine night - a perfect night for softball.

Getting down to business and fun, I was part of a nice play for an out at first base that first inning.  Alan, our owner, winged a fast one from third base, and my glove shot up to snag it high and to the left for that sweet  last moment out, made sweeter by my daughter cheering me from the sidelines, her broad grin splitting her face.  I'm so very proud of her and it's pretty motivating to have her there, beaming pride back at me.  I'm glad we can share these moments.

Michelle, the newest member of our sales team, and youngest player on the softball team, snagged a really nice fly ball out in center field.  This is her first ever season of playing any kind of softball or baseball, and she's turning out to be quite the competitor and natural athelete.  She improves every game.  It was great to see her grab that ball.  We all - every single one of us on the field - had our hands in the air, whooping it up.  A huge show of support and good vibes to spare.  The opposing team, a serious bunch, must of thought we were a bit touched, but we sure didn't care!

I had heard earlier from a friend down in the Big Easy that the moon was worth a look-see tonight, and sure enough as I peered up at the next batter at the bottom of the 4th, there was a big old glowing, golden orb rising in the indigo sky behind her.  A real beauty of moon, forecasting the harvest moons to come, and breaking bitter-sweet on my consciousness.  Summer will leave us soon and the fiery colors of autumns will decorate it's slow demise.

I will miss these moments a little, even as I happily anticipate the good times to come:  Fall Soccer and watching Stella tear it up in her first season playing at the club level.  Watching the Saints defend their championship.  Sharing smack-talk and laughter during Oregon's Civil War Football game.  Crunching through fallen leaves while breathing the crisp clean air and enjoying the Autumn displays of color.  Playing dress up with the kids for Halloween.  There are many things to look forward to as we transition into Fall.

For now, though, I am savoring these last vignettes of Summer.  Time passes so quickly, and I don't want to let the cycles spin by without fully enjoying them and giving thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment