Sunday, August 29, 2010

Cafe Au Lait vs. Caffe Latte

Last night I met Scott out at the Lucky Lab on Hawthorne and had a glass of wine while he had dinner and a beer.  Later we walked around Ladd's Addition neighborhood near Hawthorne and found ourselves at Palio Coffee House, a little coffeeshop in Ladd's Circle, which I had not been to since before Stella was born. 

Inside Palio - I love the chairs.  (photo:  Andrew Collins)

We stopped in for coffee and I ordered a cafe au lait, which I have not had since I was in New Orleans when I had it with a hot, delicious beignet early one morning at Cafe du Monde after shooting sunrise pictures on the Mississippi River.  I remember wondering back then, whether a cafe au lait was different than a caffe latte.  Was it just the same thing in but spoken French and Italian?  Or was there some difference to their makeup?  The question crossed my mind then and other times,  but I never thought it about it very long, and always moved on to something else.  I would never remember to look it up.  Not this time.  I Googled the question this afternoon, and found out that there is, indeed a difference between these two coffee drinks, and it's more than just what language you are speaking. 

According to  the blog, "Coffee Break" on http://coffeeandteatime.com/blog/2008/cafelatte-cafeaulait/, this is the difference:

Cafe au Lait and Cafe Latte are indeed different. Cafe au lait is actually equal parts of regular coffee and hot milk. A cafe latte is made with 1/3 espresso and 2/3’s hot steamed milk. A cafe latte generally does not have a milk froth top. Sugar is generally not added to a caffe latte but those who prefer sweetened coffee will often add it to cafe au lait.

So, really, the biggest difference is that one has espresso and one has regularly brewed coffee.  I had already kind of guessed that.  Also there is a difference between the ratios of coffee to milk.  I happen to love the "milk froth top" I find on a cafe au lait, even as I'm surprised by it.  Seems like a latte, with its steamed milk would have more froth.  Curious.  I also like that it's traditionally sweetened if you like sugar in your coffee, which I do.

Anyway, in honor of my heritage and my love for New Orleans - and because I really lilke it better - I will be drinking cafe au lait  rather than latte's much more often!

Cafe au lait and beignets at Cafe du Monde

No comments:

Post a Comment