Friday, July 2, 2010

Charming Old City

I spent 6 wonderful days of escape in lovely, old New Orleans this May.  I have yet to reclaim my heart from this grand old city, and a part of me is walking still along the old cobblestone and brick sidewalks and streets.

My travel partner, Shellie, and I heard great Jazz and talked to so many warm and friendly people.  We drank refreshing cocktails unlike any I've had before, and  we soaked in sights that have been shared by travelers and fellow romantics for hundreds of years.  There was such a rich mixture of history, delicious food,  pathos, debauchery, beauty, heady scents and magical moments.  I won't forget sweet Miss Elizabeth, the psychic tarot card reader with the healing spirit we met on our way to a late night bite to eat.  And Noche Flamenca, the world famous Spanish flamenco troupe who shared our hotel space, provided a truly unique diversion during our downtime.  What fun they were with their singing and clapping by the pool!  Their company was simply lovely.  Their performance at Le Petit Theatre du Vieux Carre, the oldest continuously running theatre in the country, was absolutely breathtaking.  It brought tears to my eyes.  Today, my words aren't really up to accurately describing everything I loved about New Orleans.  I truly  felt like I was in another country.  It was such an exotic place.  For now, I just want to acknowledge a trip that will hold a special place in my memories for the rest of my life. 

Here are a few of my favorite photos from the trip.  Some are not technically great, but they make me smile to see them.  I hope you enjoy them, too.


View of Antoine's from our balcony meal across the way on the first night. Lovely sunset.


Shot from a cab as we rushed not to miss Noche Flamenca. 


Thought this porch and railing was so pretty.  Loved the architecture in N.O.


In the Garden District.  Live Oaks make things even more beautiful.


Best Shrimp Po'Boy ever!  At "Catch" on Magazine Street.


View from outside of gated cemetary.  Got there too late to stroll inside.


Simply loved these steps leading to a Garden District Home.


Passion Flower




Inside Napolean House - est. 1797 




Serving 'em up at the Napolean House!
Loved their Pimm's Cup!


Saw this type of horn nearly every day.


Couldn't help snapping this...loved everything about this guy.  What a friendly face. N.O. was full of friendly people!


Found the flower on the ground and placed it here...


Funny story behind this pic!  Shellie made him smile like that.


Too cute!


Jumbo Shrimp Band - gotta love their fun, Dixie-Land style jazz!


Sudden Downpour


Took me a long time to get this shot.  Had to wait for droplets to quit splashing and people to move on...


Very old street after a heavy rain.


Shellie in the pool in our hotel courtyard.  We loved The Olivier House on Toulouse Street!


Seen on Bourbon Street near Toulouse, early one morning.


Early morning peek across the Mississippi River.


Pretty Sunrise on the Mississippi




Caffe Au Lait and Beignets at Cafe du Monde - so yummy!



Rain washed Jackson Square before the crowds came in.


I wonder how long these have been there.  So pretty.


Cute baby statue in Audobon Park


These girls were so cute and having so much fun on Bourbon Street


Night Scene in the French Quarter


"Touchdown Jesus" as the locals say.


Old Street Drainage


Spanish Cabildo Ironwork


Daytime Shadows

No comments:

Post a Comment