Saturday, July 31, 2010

Checking things off...

Ever since I've moved into this little, tiny house, I've struggled to find a place for everything.  I've had boxes full of stuff stacked everywhere, and it's very annoying to me.  My carport, in particular, has been a total mess - and a huge embarrassment to me.  Since there is no garage, all the stuff has been just sitting out there for the neighborhood to see.  Today I took care of some of that.

1.  I finally set up the "Gorilla Rack" I bought from A-Boy some months ago.  That allowed me to empty the boxes of auto supplies, special cleaners, dog shampoo, bike cleaning supplies and that sort of thing, which were piled up all over the carport.  They now have their own special place, and this makes me very happy.

2.  I broke down ALL of the empty cardboard boxes from the move and set them up to go out with recycling on Monday morning.  Looks SO much better!

3.  I went to A-Boy and got some screws so the kids' dad could help me hang the heavy, white utility cabinet I bought at a garage sale around the time I was moving in here.  It hangs on one of the house sides out under the carport above the "Gorilla Rack" shelving system I set up, and it holds the kids art supplies.  Ta Daaaa!

4.  Ron also put up the bicycle hangers I bought for the carport while he was at it, too, so now the kids bikes can be put up and out the way - and locked even!  Now I have way more room in the little storage shed out back, because the bikes aren't in there.  I have put the boxes of winter boots and such, which were also sitting out on the carport, in the backyard storage shed - and out of sight!

5.  I also finally delivered the pile of stuff I had collected for Goodwill.  It looks so much better now that it's all gone and not sitting there gathering dust and cobwebs!

6.  Since Ron was here with the kids earlier, and I was trying to get other things done, he mowed the lawn for me.  It wasn't so high that I couldn't take care of it or anything like that, but it sure is nice that I don't have to mess with it again for awhile!

I feel so much better about the front of my house, even though the house itself isn't much to look at.  It's just so much more tidy than it's been.  I feel so much lighter having taken care of so much of it today.  I do have a few more things to take care of, though.

I will be calling Goodwill, or some other organization to come and pick up the derelict sofa my landlady left here.  She told me she wanted, but never did pick it up, so it's been sitting out on the carport gathering dust and getting faded out, until I covered it in a garish orange tarp.  She recently told me I could have someone come take it way, in an airy voice suggesting that she never meant for me to leave it out there.  (whatever...I'm just happy that it will be gone soon)

I think I want to put some hanging flower baskets out front, to add something bright and cheery to
this drab little, light blue box.  I will go look for something tomorrow!

Now...off for some reading.  In peace!

4 comments:

Thomas Moen said...

Well that was a cute post. Why is it "cute" when someone does something entirely in character? Or, at least the character I understand you to be. Hear that? You're a character, Character. :-)

Seraffyn said...

Hmmm...now I'm wondering who is the character with the opinions about my character! Is this my boat building friend, Tom? The "Tom's Boat Adventures" link leads me nowhere...

Thomas Moen said...

Yup, me. I made a blog a couple months ago but didn't do anything with it! Sorry for the confusion.

Seraffyn said...

It's fine, Tom - I was amused by the mystery. I would love to see a blog of yours. I hope you start putting stuff in it soon! :)

Post a Comment