Friday, April 30, 2010

Spiritual Getaway

Update:  It's now Saturday afternoon around 2:45.  I got up at 6:45 this morning, ready to get rolling as soon as Ron picked up the kids this morning, but I started doing laundry while listening to music, and that led to cleaning my bathroom and vaccuuming the house and other cleaning.  Now my house feels pretty good, and it occurs to me that I haven't been able to just sit quietly and  read a book or even actually listen to music in my house without bickering and interruptions.  It's wonderful!  I'm going to stay home and enjoy the time alone here.  I may get up really early and spend the day out at Smith Rock tomorrow, instead - or maybe go hiking somewhere else.  I will get a hike in.  In any case, I'm really enjoying the freedom to do whatever I feel like doing!  Since I'm home, I called Scott and he's just finished his ride.   I've invited him over later to spend time with me in my home without kids.  What a treat for us!  Time together in Portland without kids.   :)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's Friday evening and none too soon.  I've really been looking forward to this weekend over the last couple of days.  As I sit here after dinner sipping on a bit of tawny port, I am happily anticipating the next 48 hours, because I'm going to do something I've been craving. For the first time in a long while, I'm able to get away sans kids for more than a few hours, and I don't even need to hire a sitter!  Their dad has actually made plans to keep the kids overnight on Saturday.  They are so excited to have some time with him, and I'm thrilled at the prospect of taking Molly out to Smith Rock to hike and enjoy a night out under the stars.  She and I are going camping!


View of the Crooked River from Smith Rock in May, 2009

Scott's going on a 100 mile bike ride with his cycling friends this weekend, and I have no obligations otherwise, so it's the perfect opportunity for me to have some extended time and the joyful companionship of my sweet puppy all to myself!  I've felt a deep longing to get out and hike lately, but with Stella's softball games, Evan's t-ball games and other commitments, I've really not had an opportunity.  When Ron first mentioned that he might be taking the kids for the weekend, I had a glimmer of hope, but didn't want to get too excited.  But when I asked him on Wednesday if he still intended to take them, he said he would.  That's when that wonderful swell of anticipation started to grow.  I love watching my kids play sports, and I enjoy my time with my sweetheart, too, but I have always thrived best with regular doses of "me" time in nature.  It's my version of church, since it fills my spiritual cup.  This will be a delicious, much needed time away for me.

Molly after playing in the Crooked River, May 2009

It should be a really great time to photograph, too.  I spent a beautiful long day at Smith Rock last Spring and took lots of pictures with my phone's camera.  They were fun to post on Facebook for my family, but my camera now is a far superior tool.  I look forward to capturing some beautiful images of one of my very favorite places to share with my family and friends who live elsewhere outside of Oregon.  Also, my friend, Connor will be rock climbing with his girlfriend and some of their friends on both Saturday and Sunday and I plan on stopping by their hang-out to try and shoot that action, too.  Should be so much fun!  Here's a link to his blog post about a climbing trip to Smith Rock last year:  October at Smith Rock


Joy in a Special Place

More than anything, I look forward to sleeping in a tent and waking up to the sunrise in such a place.  I'm all tingly with anticipation!

No comments:

Post a Comment