Monday, April 12, 2010

Revisiting Catherine Creek

Last October I was looking for a change of scene and some time away on my own.  My friend, Nick, let me camp out in his sailboat out in the Hood River Marina, and when I asked about good hiking areas nearby, he turned me on to Catherine Creek.  I fell in love at first sight. 
About 60 miles East of Portland, several trails leave a trailhead on the Washington side of the Columbia River on Old Hwy 14 between Bingen and Lyle, and head down into peaceful canyons, and up onto high plateaus and sweeping meadows, dotted with exposed basalt.  There are stunning views of the Columbia River, especially looking East toward The Dalles.  On a clear day Mt. Hood looms large on the Oregon side. 
In October, what really stood out to me was the Autumnal colors. There were oak leaves turning and golden grasses waving in the wind, parched from the heat of the previous Summer.  Burnt umber and gold were the starring colors, complimented by an ever changing tempestuous, but always partly blue sky. 
Here are a few pictures from my first trip out there (taken with the great little Olympus point and shoot I was given a couple of years ago):

PA030103

PA030180

PA030115

PA030254

PA030188
After such a stunning visit in October, I was curious to know more about Catherine Creek, so I went online.  There I found that Catherine Creek is a mecca for wildflowers in Spring, and quite the destination for photographers and other flower lovers.  I have been waiting ever since for Spring to come so I could go back to lovely Catherine Creek and see her in her fresh Spring garb.  My sweetheart and I both needed a getaway this past weekend, so this was my chance!   
I probably shouldn’t have been surprised by how green everything was, but I sure was. I marveled at the complete change of color temperature from the previous Fall.  Green moss and green lichen, not yet even considering the respective orange and silver of their later season, grew vibrantly on rocks and old wood.  Green grass thrived, and fresh green leaves and buds sprouted from the oak trees. 
The supporting cast of fresh colors was pretty impressive, too.  The meadows were dotted with spots of yellow, pink and different shades of blue and purple from the many wildflowers growing there.  We saw Shooting Stars, Balsam Root, Blue Camas, Cluster Lilies and others.  Birdsong filled the air.  Everything was so new and pretty! 
I’ve included some of my favorite shots of the day:

IMG_2315
Shooting Stars

IMG_2328
Yellow Eyed Grass

IMG_2366
Cute little fern-like plants growing from beneath basalt rocks

IMG_2374-1
Shooting Stars beneath a lovely Oak and the beautiful sky!  Picnic anyone?

IMG_2391
Mt. Hood

IMG_2396
In new life and old death, the place was dramatic.

IMG_2409
A “river” of Yellow Eyed Grass!

IMG_2411
Catherine Creek

IMG_2414
Pine Cone

IMG_2418
Spot of sun highlighting some Yellow Eyed Grass

IMG_2420
scott enjoying himself amongst some tufts of Desert Parsley.

IMG_2452
Fresh, new leaves on the oak trees…

IMG_2512
…and fresh, bright green grass beneath!

IMG_2525
Bee and Balsam Root

IMG_2551-1
Balsam Root and moss covered basalt

IMG_2559-1
More Balsam Root

IMG_2580-1
Desert Parsley – very pungent!

IMG_2611-1
Pines and green grass in the meadow, dappled blue sky overhead.

IMG_2622-1
My sweetheart scoping out his next shot, armed with a pretty cool filter and lots of know-how.

IMG_2631-1
Some kids on top of the arch in the basalt.  I took this to show the scale.  See the light shining through the opening?

IMG_2638-1
Little “baby” oak leaves coming out to see the sun!

IMG_2656-1
Cluster Lilies, before they have truly “clustered”

IMG_2670-1
A gorgeous day!!