Sunday, January 2, 2011

First of Many

I have a few goals for this year, and one of them, as usual, is to get fit(ter).  That's pretty broad, because I've not fully defined the goal yet, but I have decided on a few particulars, and one of those is that I will walk my dog every day, unless I'm really sick, out of town, or somebody else has already walked her on a day that I'm already doing other active things. This is for her as much as for me, actually.  I have let her down this past year.  She hasn't gotten out on enough good walks and hikes, and she seems a little depressed.  I aim to change that this year.

Yesterday I went on an organized hike with a group I'd not hiked with before, and I wasn't comfortable taking Molly with, but my kids' dad took her on a good, long walk early that morning.

Today was my first Molly of the year.  I got up around 6:30 and sat around a bit contemplating the cold before finally taking her out around 7:15.  We walked her from my house over to Gabriel Park, and we did the loop around the whole park and returned home about an hour and fifteen minutes later.  It was quite chilly, but we kept moving and I stayed warm enough.    Pretty morning, too, though, I didn't get out quite soon enough to catch the prettiest part of the sunrise;  only saw it from inside.  I did take a few pictures anyway, since there was still a bit of color in the sky. 

I like the park in Winter.  There aren't as many people out, so there are often more birds and other small animals to see.  And, I even enjoy the stark trees silouhetted against the blue/gray sky. 

Most importantly, it felt good to get my blood pumping and see my dog so very happy!


I need to do a "Lonely Bench" blog.   I am compelled to photograph them!


One of many clouds of blackbirds we saw rise up from that ballfield.


A small "cloud" alighted on this tree.

Blurry, but I like the intensity of her expression as she watches the blackbirds rise and swoop.

No comments:

Post a Comment